Please E-mail suggested additions, comments and/or corrections to Kent@MoreLaw.Com.

Help support the publication of case reports on MoreLaw

Date: 08-04-2023

Case Style:

Gina Bellido v. The New York City Fire Department

Case Number: 1:23-cv-00512

Judge: Jessica G. L. Clarke

Court: United States District Court for the Southern District of New York (Manhattan County)

Plaintiff's Attorney: Daniela Mendes and Brittany Stevens

Defendant's Attorney: Joseph Birton Reynolds and David Choi

Description: New York City, New York civil rights lawyers represented Plaintiff who sued Defendant on a sex job discrimination theory.

The claims made and defenses asserted are not available.

"Sex job discrimination is when someone is treated differently because of their sex in the hiring process, at work, or when applying for a promotion. This can include being denied a job, being paid less than someone of the opposite sex, or being subjected to sexual harassment.

Sex job discrimination is illegal under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Title VII prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in all aspects of employment, including hiring, firing, promotion, compensation, and training.

If you believe that you have been the victim of sex job discrimination, you can file a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). The EEOC is a federal agency that enforces Title VII.

You can also file a lawsuit against the person or organization that discriminated against you. However, it is important to speak with an attorney before filing a lawsuit.

Here are some examples of sex job discrimination:

An employer refuses to hire a woman because she is pregnant.
An employer pays a woman less than a man for doing the same job.
An employer subjects a woman to sexual harassment.

If you believe that you have been the victim of sex job discrimination, it is important to document the discrimination. This includes keeping copies of any relevant documents, such as job applications, performance reviews, and pay stubs. You should also keep a record of any conversations that you have with your employer about the discrimination.

It is also important to talk to someone about the discrimination. This could be a friend, family member, or an attorney. Talking to someone can help you to process what has happened and to decide what you want to do next.

If you decide to file a complaint with the EEOC, you will need to file a Form EEOC-1. You can find the form on the EEOC website. You will also need to provide the EEOC with information about the discrimination, such as the date of the discrimination, the name of the employer, and the job that you were applying for.

The EEOC will investigate your complaint. If the EEOC finds that there is reasonable cause to believe that you have been discriminated against, it will try to reach a settlement with the employer. If the EEOC cannot reach a settlement, you may be able to file a lawsuit against the employer.

Sex job discrimination is a serious problem. If you believe that you have been the victim of sex job discrimination, it is important to take action. You can file a complaint with the EEOC or file a lawsuit. By taking action, you can help to protect your rights and to ensure that other people are not discriminated against in the workplace."

Google Bard

Outcome: The Court having been advised at ECF No. 19 that all claims asserted herein have been settled in principle, it is ORDERED that the above-entitled action be and is hereby DISMISSED and discontinued without costs, and without prejudice to the right to reopen the action within 30 days of the date of this Order if the settlement is not consummated. To be clear, any application to reopen must be filed by the aforementioned deadline; any application to reopen filed thereafter may be denied solely on that basis. If the parties wish for the Court to retain jurisdiction for the purposes of enforcing any settlement agreement, they must submit the settlement agreement to the Court by the deadline to reopen to be "so ordered" by the Court. Per Section 7(c) of the Court's Individual Rules and Practices for Civil Cases, unless the Court orders otherwise, the Court will not retain jurisdiction to enforce a settlement agreement unless it is made part of the public record. Any pending motions are moot. All conferences are cancelled. The Clerk of Court is directed to CLOSE the case. SO ORDERED. (Signed by Judge Jessica G. L. Clarke on 8/4/2023) (tg) (Entered: 08/04/2023)

Plaintiff's Experts:

Defendant's Experts:


Find a Lawyer


Find a Case