Please E-mail suggested additions, comments and/or corrections to Kent@MoreLaw.Com.

Help support the publication of case reports on MoreLaw

Date: 06-15-2024

Case Style:

United States of America v. Nathan First In Trouble

Case Number: 3:23-cr-30119

Judge: Roberto A. Lange

Court: The United States District Court for the District of South Dakota (Hughes County)

Plaintiff's Attorney: The United States Attorney’s Office in Pierre

Defendant's Attorney:

Click Here For The Best
Pierre, South Dakota Criminal Defense Lawyer Directory


Pierre, South Dakota criminal defense lawyer represented the Defendant charged with Failure to Register as a Sex Offender

White River Man Sentenced for Failure to Register

Nathan First In Trouble, age 45, was indicted by a federal grand jury in December of 2023. He pleaded guilty on March 21, 2024.

On December 12, 1995, First In Trouble was convicted in Mellette County, South Dakota of Sexual Contact With a Person Incapable of Consenting. On April 13, 1998, he was also convicted of Sexual Abuse of a Minor in U.S. District Court in Aberdeen, South Dakota. Both convictions required him to register as a sex offender under the provisions of the Sex Offender Registration and Notification Act (SORNA) and South Dakota law. First In Trouble failed to update his registration between July 29, 2022, and December 12, 2023.

This case was brought as part of Project Safe Childhood, a nationwide initiative to combat the growing epidemic of child sexual exploitation and abuse, launched in May 2006 by the Department of Justice. Led by the U.S. Attorneys’ Offices and the DOJ’s Child Exploitation and Obscenity Section, Project Safe Childhood marshals federal, state, and local resources to locate, apprehend, and prosecute individuals who exploit children, as well as identify and rescue victims. For more information about Project Safe Childhood, please visit

This case was investigated by the U.S. Marshals Service and the Rosebud Sioux Tribe Law Enforcement Services. Assistant U.S. Attorney Tim Maher prosecuted the case.

First In Trouble was immediately remanded to the custody of the U.S. Marshals Service.


Defendant was found guilty and sentenced to 13 months in federal prison, followed by five years of supervised release, and ordered to pay a special assessment to the Federal Crime Victims Fund in the amount of $100.

Plaintiff's Experts:

Defendant's Experts:


Find a Lawyer


Find a Case