Please E-mail suggested additions, comments and/or corrections to Kent@MoreLaw.Com.
Case Style: Jennifer Garza v. Deerfield Condominiums, Northstar Properties, and North Star Properties & Investments, LLC
Case Number: CJ-2015-225
Judge: Lori Walkley
Court: District Court, Cleveland County, Oklahoma
Plaintiff's Attorney: Steve Bachman
Defendant's Attorney: No appearance
Description: Norman, OK - Jennifer Garza sued Deerfield Condominiums, Northstar Properties, and North Star Properties & Investments, LLC on premises liability theories claiming:
1. That the Plaintiff, Jennifer Garza, is a resident of Norman, Cleveland County, State of Oklahoma; that the Defendant, Deerfield Condominiums, is a condominium complex doing business in Norman, Cleveland County, State of Oklahoma; that the Defendants, Northstar Properties and North Star Properties & Investments, LLC, are property management companies doing business in Norman, Cleveland County, State of Oklahoma. Further, the Plaintiff asserts that the Court has jurisdiction over the parties and of the subject matter and that venue is appropriate.
2. That on or about the 5th day of March, 2013, the Plaintiff, Jennifer Garza, was a business invitee on the premises of the Deerfield Condominiums in Norman, Oklahoma. As the Plaintiff was walking along the sidewalk, she stepped on a defective board which collapsed, causing the Plaintiff to suffer significant personal injuries. The
Plaintiff asserts that one and/or all three of the Defendants knew or should have known about the dangerous condition of the wood along the sidewalk and therefore were negligent in failing to remedy the dangerous condition or warn of the existence of the
dangerous condition. The Plaintiff asserts that the incident in question is a result of the negligence one and/or all of the Defendants, and that as a result of the negligence the Plaintiff has incurred as injuries as hereinafter set forth.
3. That the negligence of the Defendants, Deerfield Condominiums and/or Northstar Properties and/or North Star Properties & Investments, LLC, at said time and place, among other things, includes, but is not limited to:
a. Allowing a defective and dangerous condition to exist on the premises;
b. Failing to properly inspect and to remove the dangerous conditions;
c. Failing to properly to remove the defective conditions; despite the knowledge of prior incidents causing injury;
d. Failing to warn of the dangerous and defective conditions; and
e. Negligently causing the incident in question.
4. As a result of the occurrence described herein, the Plaintiff, Jennifer Garza, did suffer severe personal injuries causing the Plaintiff to seek medical treatment. The Plaintiff has experienced physical pain and mental anguish and will, in all reasonable probability, continue to do so in the future by reason of the nature of the Plaintiff’s injuries. The Plaintiff has been caused to incur medical charges, lost wages and expenses in the past and will continue to incur medical expenses, lost wages and expenses in the future for said injuries.
5. By reason of the above and foregoing, the Plaintiff, Jennifer Garza, has been damaged in asum in excess of TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS ($10,000.00) for said injuries.
WHEREFORE, the Plaintiff, Jennifer Garza, prays for judgment against the Defendants, Deerfield Condominiums, Northstar Properties, and North Star Properties & Investments, LLC, in an amount in excess of TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS ($10,000.00), attorney fees, costs of this action and for such and further relief as the Court deems just and proper.
No answer filed.
Outcome: Settled for an undisclosed sum and dismissed with prejudice.